Este sistema operativo nace en Rumania, de la mano de Ogdan Bontanu, un desconocido programador que tiene ideas de cambio social, cultural, de desarrollo personal, protección del medioambiente, que se condensan en el código GPL de su sistema operativo "Solar OS", el cual ocupa pocos recursos (8 megabytes de RAM, comparado con más de 1GB en MS-Windows 7, que a su vez se jacta de ocupar poca batería del netbook), como medida de protección de los ecosistemas en los que estamos inmersos, con nuestra tecnología.
Sin más, el link, versión alpha (inestable, no apta para uso de oficina, pero apropiada para hackers -en el sentido constructivo del término-)
SOLAR OS Features
Solar OS is Small
- Kernel code including applications and GUI and without RAM variables is under 64K. Perfectly fit for a ROM. Estimated full size of OS is under 512K.
- Code reusability at maximum: app code is really shared by multiple instances most data also.
- Designed to be full reentrant.
Solar OS is Simple
- Easy to develop applications for it and understand its inner workings. Overall design is "keep it simple!" so you can understand it fast and programm for it with ease
- It has the most simple "Hello World" GUI application including move,resize,minimize, show contents while drawing, translucent. with very little code and very well organized for easy learning.
- OOP GUI design is simple and very efective
- Full memory access and unlimited I/O from ring0 make devices testing and drivers developing very easy.
- Has a STDCALL API, it is not using INTxx and register based parameter All functions and parameters use stack frames like in standard HLL.
- Even in ASM to simplify logic it makes heavy usage of HLL constructs like: .IF .ELSEIF .ELSE .ENDIF; LOCAL variables and labels.
SOLAR OS is Fast
- Is programmed in full 32 bits ASM
- It alows you to test time critical algorithms or heavy mathematical calculation while using up ALL CPU power if you like to... while still having a nice interface/GUI to display results
- Special state machines optimize long operations
- Cooperative multitasking avoids waisting time
- Callback architecture assures best response times
- Avoids switching ring modes at every API call.
- Maintains good cache coherency and code localizations in cache.
- Still it is very Stable and will not reset after years of running
- When needed reboots under a few secconds (2-3s usually w/o BIOS POST)
- Has Warm restart under 1/10s
- It is very Dynamic: you can have multiple big windows showing dynamic content. Or you could run multiple translucent windows with movies inside and performance will degrade slowly and linear/nice without sudden stalls.
SOLAR OS is Realtime
- Your commands and data aquisitions will be executed as fast as possible.
- Producer/Consummer kernel queues allow very low latency between the high speed IRQ data fetch routines and your application processing.
- It has a FPS: you are certain that OS is not sleping on you
SOLAR OS is Embeded
- It can run without a HDD,
- It can without a FDD .
- It can run without a CDROM
- It only needs a pointing device a screen and eventually a keyboard.
- And still multiple applications are included at starup from inside kernel image they could all fire up from a tiny ROM.
SOLAR OS has LOW requirements
- Only 8Mbytes RAM
- P2 class CPU at 266 or even lower
- Can be setup to run with under 2Mbyte RAM and without translucent windows you can go much lower
SOLAR OS works well under many emulators
- Virtual PC2004